There is no shortage of resources available to assist as you explore career options outside of the academy. As you refine your search, remember that our graduate career adviser is here to help.
Find insight on Ph.D. career paths. See resumes and cover letters. Explore inspiring stories of success outside the academy. Premium content access is provided courtesy of the Graduate School.
Log in to access the premium content area >
Career Services Resources
Industry & Profession Insight
Career Services has compiled a list of resources by field. Find overviews, labor market projections, job-posting sites, professional associations and ways to expand your knowledge. You can also uncover opportunities, from fellowships to full-time jobs.
Explore Industries & Professions >
Research careers and industries, get search advice and examine employment trends. Visit the site >
Excellent career and industry information, job search tools, and trends. Free access for Princeton students and alumni courtesy of Career Services and the Princeton University Library. Log in to Vault >
Resources by Field
- Beyond Academe: Useful site created to assist historians exploring work outside of the academy, but useful for any Ph.D.
- Sellout: A Resource for PhDs Considering Careers Beyond the University: Designed by an English literature Ph.D. turned software engineer, this site has a great collection of articles and resources.
- The Humanities Ph.D. at Work: From the Chronicle of Higher Education: "Which skills and attributes gained through doctoral training aid humanities Ph.D.'s in the "real world" — and which don't?"
- NewScientist: This magazine features some of the latest science "hot topics," and includes a Jobs and Careers section. Special resources for students looking for jobs in biotechnology.
- Physics Jobs Today: A resource from the American Institute of Physics. Post a resume, browse available positions, find schedules for upcoming career workshops and order career manuals.
- Science Magazine: Provides advice, dates and locations of career fairs and a place to post your resume.
- Academic 360.com: Find employment opportunities, including teaching and administrative positions in higher education, and non-academic positions with the private sector, government and NGOs.
- Career Advice - Chronicle of Higher Education: Advice columns including Beyond the Ivory Tower cover non-academic job search issues.
- National Association of Graduate and Professional Students: Includes a database of jobs, grants and fellowships, news for graduate students and a career bookstore.
- National Science Foundation: Explore administrative, management and research opportunities with NSF.
- PhDs.org: Search hundreds of current Ph.D. jobs by category, keyword and location.
- Career Guide for Ph.D.'s Asks: "So What Are You Going to Do With That?"
- How to Prepare to Find a Job In Industry
- Whose Job Is It, Anyway?
The following books are available in the Office of Career Services library:
- A Ph.D. is Not Enough: a Guide to Survival in Science by Peter J. Feibelman (ISBN: 0-201-62663-2)
- The First Year of Teaching by Pearl Rock Kane (ISBN: 0-8027-7359-1)
- Outside the Ivory Tower: A Guide for Academics Considering Alternative Careers by Margaret Newhouse (ISBN: 0-943747-08-2)
- Getting an Academic Job: Strategies for Success by Jennie Jacobs Kronenfeld and Marcia Lynn Whicker (ISBN: 0-8039-7015-3)
- The Academic Job Search Handbook by Julia Miller Vick and Jennifer S. Furlong (ISBN: 978-0-8122-2016-2)
- The MLA Guide to the Job Search (ISBN: 0-87352-682-1)
- Job Search in Academe by Dawn M. Formo and Cheryl Reed (ISBN: 1-57922-011-8)
- The Compleat Academic: A Practical Guide for the Beginning Social Scientist by Mark P. Zanna and John M. Darley (ISBN: 0-89859-949-0)
- Lifting a Ton of Feathers: A Woman's Guide to Surviving in the Academic World by Paula J. Caplan (ISBN: 0-8020-7411-1)
- Understanding the Work and Career Paths of Midlevel Administrators by Linda K. Johnsrud and Vicki J. Rosser (ISBN: 0-7879-5435-7)
- Tomorrow's Professor: Preparing for Academic Careers in Science and Engineering by Richard M. Reis (ISBN: 0-7803-1136-1)