The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
- American Bar Association Career Center: Careers in the legal profession.
- Career Alternative for Physicists: Patent Law: An overview on careers for physicists in patent law.
- Chemists in Patent Law: A look at options for chemists in patent law by the American Chemical Society.
- Content Collection: Careers in Patent Law: A very useful overview of resources from Science.
- From Ph.D. to Patent Lawyer: A look at alternative career paths for STEM Ph.D.'s.
- Getting Started With Patent Law: A look at the field from Bio Careers.
- HG Legal Resources: A comprehensive site and a great source for research.
- Law.com Law Jobs: National employment listings as well as links to legal recruiter directory and temporary staffing agencies (site includes paralegal jobs, not just jobs for lawyers!).
- LawyerIntl: A site of links! Links to legal employment in the private and public sectors.
- Martindale.com: The online site of the Martindale-Hubbell directory of law firms. This site is great for researching firms, lawyers in corporations or governmental agencies by geographic area. Use the Legal Careers link for job-hunting resources.
- Public Allies: Public Allies advances new leadership to strengthen communities, nonprofits and civic participation. Make a career out of making a difference.
Selected Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership-based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- American Bar Association (ABA): ABA supports the legal profession with practical resources for legal professionals, including an online Career Center.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association: Includes a Career Center, which services those seeking a career in the intellectual property law industry.
- Association for Conflict Resolution: A professional association enhancing the practice and public understanding of mediation, arbitration and conflict resolution.
- Association of University Technology Managers: Features continuing education, salary surveys, industry data and job listings.
- Association of Legal Administrators: A site for gaining knowledge, resources and networking.
- Intellectual Property Owners Association: This trade association for owners of patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets provides a wealth of related resources.
- NALA – The Association of Legal Assistants & Paralegals: The leading paralegal association in the U.S.
- NALP – The Association for Legal Career Professionals: Great industry information source. Job board.
- National Federation of Paralegal Associations: A comprehensive site with links to industry resources, networking and legal resources. The Online Career Center lists nationwide opportunities and has a career advice component.