Writing & Publishing
The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
- Bookjobs: Resource with job and internship postings, as well as profiles of publishing companies.
- Ed2010: Multi-chapter organization of young magazine editors and those who want to learn about the industry through blogs, postings and networking events.
- Freelance Writing Jobs: Job postings and job hunting tips for freelance writers.
- JournalismJobs.com: Job board for newspapers, magazines, publishing, online media, television, radio, PR, media relations, nonprofit/ academic/ government, technology news jobs, sales and marketing.
- Mediabistro: Jobs, news, education, events and research for the media industry.
- Publishers Weekly: Online resource for the weekly magazine geared toward publishers, literary agents, authors, librarians and the media that includes industry news and a job posting page.
- Publisher's Marketplace: Resource to track publishing news and search for jobs.
- Random House: Internships in book publishing.
- Society of Professional Journalists Freelancer Directory: Resources and database of freelance writers.
- Writer's Digest: Resources for writers on getting published, writing competitions and other educational materials.
Selected Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership- based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- American Copy Editors Society: Organization designed to provide resources, education and advocacy for copy editors. Site includes job postings.
- American Society of Journalists and Authors: Organization for independent nonfiction writers that focuses on professional development and networking.
- Association of American University Presses: Organization that advocates for university presses through professional education and public advocacy. Site includes job postings.
- Council for the Advancement of Science Writing: Association that develops and funds programs to help writers produce accurate and informative stories about science, technology, medicine and the environment.
- Editorial Freelance Association: Provides resources, membership directory and job postings for freelance writers.
- Magazine Publishers of America: Resources, industry news and job postings for the magazine industry.
- Society of Professional Journalists: Trade organization focused on ensuring freedom of the press and journalistic integrity. Offers student membership, annual convention, internships and fellowships.
- Writers Guide of America, East and Writers Guild of America, West: Labor unions composed of writers who contribute to everything from TV shows to new media.