Thank-you Letter Template
A thank-you letter does not have to be long, but it should be personalized. Ideally, that means you write one for each individual you met with. Remember, most hiring decisions are made based on group consenus between all involved in the interview process. Take time to reference a highlight from your interview, and reassert your primary selling points.
Sincere and Succinct
Aim to send your thank you within 24-48 hours — or sooner if a hiring decision is imminent. Your goal should be to remind the hiring manager why you are a strong candidate for the position, and to show sincere enthusiasm for the job.
Your street address
City, State, Zip
City, State, Zip
Dear Mr./Ms./Dr. Last Name [if you are unsure of gender, omit salutation and write full name]:
- Express your appreciation for the opportunity to interview for the position and thank the recruiter for their time.
- Mention that you enjoyed meeting the recruiter(s) as well as any other members of the organization you met with.
- Include something specific to your discussion with the individual (or that you enjoyed learning more about the specific needs of the organization or department relevant to the position).
- Briefly reiterate your key selling points for the position, incorporating knowledge gained from the interview.
- Remind the recruiter of some of the top ways you "fit" their needs.
- Highlight 3-4 relevant skills you have for the job. Use examples of related coursework, projects, activities, or work experience that would be of most interest to the organization and would enable you to contribute to and/or meet the needs of organization.
- Offer to provide any additional information needed to support your candidacy.
- Based on any follow up arrangements or timeline discussed in the interview, confirm any next steps in the process.
- Finish by thanking the employer for their time and consideration and state that you look forward to speaking with them again soon.
Your signature (leave 3-4 blank spaces for this; for email messages just type your name)
Your name in print