The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
- Career Cornerstone Center: The site offers comprehensive lists of employers by scientific discipline, which can be a good starting point in a job search. In addition, there are career profiles of scientists currently in the field.
- Careers in Astronomy: Career information from the American Astronomical Society, plus job listings.
- NASA Jobs: Opportunities with NASA.
- National Optical Astronomy Observatory: Career information and industry news.
- PostdocJobs.com: A leading source of postdoctoral opportunities, career tips, salary survey and more.
- Space Careers: Industry directory and job listings are offered.
- Science Jobs: Job listings in a variety of science disciplines and technology.
- Science Magazine: Features jobs, employer profiles and links, and other resources such as the salary calculator.
- SelectScience.net: A wealth of information for laboratory professionals from all disciplines.
- The National Academies: Consists of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council. A comprehensive site for research in all of the sciences, with internship and career information.
Selected Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership-based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- American Astronomical Society (AAS): The American Astronomical Society (AAS), established 1899, is the major organization of professional astronomers in North America. The membership includes physicists, mathematicians, geologists, engineers and others whose research interests lie within the broad spectrum of subjects now comprising contemporary astronomy.
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA): AIAA's mission is to advance the state of aerospace science, engineering and technological leadership. It offers professional development, publications, industry updates and news and more. Their career section includes job postings, salary information and career advice.
- Association of Science and Technology Centers (ASTC): Resource for science center professionals, including a job bank, profiles of individuals in positions, professional conferences and other relevant information pertaining to 500+ international science centers.
- National Science Foundation (NSF): An independent federal agency created "to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; to secure the national defense…"