The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
- Car Design News: An online resource for automotive design.
- IEEE Spectrum Green Tech news: Including subcategories in Advanced Cars and Fuel Cells.
- Interior Motives Magazine: Part of the Car Design News portfolio of information resources for automotive design professionals worldwide.
- LinkedIn’s company pages for the automotive industry (requires LinkedIn account to view)
- Overview of automotive engineering careers: From FISITA, the Fédération Internationale des Sociétés d'Ingénieurs des Techniques de l'Automobile.
- Overview of the electronic systems in modern automobiles: From Clemson University's Vehicular Electronics Laboratory.
- Product Design & Development Magazine’s Automotive section: Articles and blog postings.
- U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Dedicated to achieving the highest standards of excellence in motor vehicle and highway safety.
Selected Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership-based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers: A nonprofit membership organization that enables collaboration, knowledge sharing, career enrichment and skills development across engineering disciplines.
- Automotive Industry Action Group: A nonprofit association originally created to develop recommendations and a framework for the improvement of quality in the North American Automotive Industry.
- FISITA: The world body for automotive engineering.
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society: With a helpful Students section including a guide for preparing for a related career
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers: A professional engineering institution in the U.K., focusing on Energy, Environment, Transport and Education.
- OICA: Committed to defending the interests of the vehicle manufacturers, assemblers and importers grouped within their national federation.
- SAE International: A global association of more than 128,000 engineers and related technical experts in the aerospace, automotive and commercial-vehicle industries. With a helpful Student Central section, including awards, competitions and internship links as well as a Career Center for job listings.
- SIGCHI: The premier international society for professionals, academics and students who are interested in human-technology and human-computer interaction (HCI).
- United States Council for Automotive Research: The collaborative technology organization of Chrysler Group LLC, Ford Motor Company and General Motors Company.