The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
- Career Alternatives for Art Historians: Cultural resource management jobs, firms, and news.
- H-Net Museums: A listserv with frequent job and internship postings.
- H-Net Public History: A listserv with frequent job and internship postings.
- HISTPRES: Historic preservation-related jobs, internships, events, and more.
- MuseumLink: List of museums by state.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation: A privately funded nonprofit organization that works to save America’s historic places.
- Preservation Directory: Online resource for historic preservation, building restoration and cultural resource management in the U.S. and Canada; Funding information and job and internship postings.
- PreserveNet: A clearinghouse for historic preservation jobs and internships.
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts: The pioneer in arts-related legal aid and educational programs about the legal and business issues that affect artist and arts organizations.
Selected Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership-based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- American Alliance of Museums: An organization that supports all museums.
- American Association for State and Local History: The only comprehensive national organization dedicated to state and local history.
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic & Artistic Works (AIC): National membership organization of conservation professionals; Members include conservators, educators, scientists, students, archivists, art historians worldwide
- National Council on Public History: A membership association dedicated to making the past useful in the present and to encouraging collaboration between historians and their public.