The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
- Career Cornerstone Center: Comprehensive lists of employers by scientific discipline, which can be a good starting point in a job search. In addition, there are career profiles of scientists currently in the field.
- NewScientist Jobs: Provides job listings in a variety of science disciplines and technology.
- PhysicsToday Jobs: Provides job listings and resources.
- physicsworld.com: Physics news and resources are offered. The website is run by the Institute of Physics.
- PostdocJobs.com: A leading source of postdoctoral opportunities, career tips, salary survey and more.
- Science Magazine: Features jobs, employer profiles and links, and other resources such as the salary calculator.
- SelectScience.net: The website for bio-scientists and laboratory personnel provides a wealth of information for laboratory professionals from all disciplines.
- The National Academies: Consists of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council. A comprehensive site for research in all of the sciences, with internship and career information.
Selected Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership-based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- Acoustical Society of America (ASA): Industry news and research, publications, training information and job listings.
- American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT): Provides education, training, resources and publications.
- American Institute of Physics (AIP): A nonprofit membership corporation created to promote the advancement and diffusion of the knowledge of physics.
- American Physical Society (APS): Seeks to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics.
- Association of Science and Technology Centers (ASTC): Resource for science-center professionals, including a job bank, profiles of individuals in positions, professional conferences and other relevant information pertaining to 500+ international science centers.
- Biophysical Society: Information about professional development opportunities, awards, publications and policy.
- Institute of Physics: Career educational information, event schedule, publications and resources.
- National Science Foundation (NSF): An independent federal agency created "to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; to secure the national defense…"
- Society of Physics Students: A professional association explicitly designed for students. Membership, through collegiate chapters, is open to anyone interested in physics.