Programming, Software Development and Information Technology
The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
- Career Cornerstone Center: Comprehensive lists of employers by scientific discipline, which can be a good starting point in a job search. In addition, there are career profiles of engineers currently in the field.
- Computerjobs.com: Technical jobs by region or by skill area.
- Dice.com: Search for technical jobs in different levels and read their career news.
- Engineering Central: Lists engineering jobs, with a special page just for entry-level postings and job banks for each category of engineering.
- Engineer Info: Millions of jobs from thousands of websites including Monster, Careerbuilder, Hotjobs and Dice.
- EngineeringJobs.com: Job databases, resume postings and professional societies.
- Gamasutra: Search for jobs in the computer-game industry with employers including Electronic Arts and Nintendo. Free registration.
- Greenlight Jobs: A unique site for technical jobs in gaming and entertainment.
- NSF's REU Program: The National Science Foundation funds a large number of research opportunities for undergraduate students at various universities through its REU program.
- Purdue University: Compiled by Math Department at Purdue University, this site lists math and computer science internships including REU.
- Software Engineer Insider: Educational information and job listings.
- Telecom Careers Net: Job information and listings for those interested in the telecommunications industry. Read relevant articles and check out featured employers.
- WISE: The Washington Internships for Students of Engineering program sends outstanding engineering students to spend ten weeks in D.C. to learn how government officials make decisions on technological issues.
Selected Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership- based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM): Delivers resources that advance computing as a science and a profession. It offers training, resources and networking for members as well as a job board.
- Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP): Professional development opportunities, networking and job connections. Student membership is available.
- Foundation for Information Technology Education: With the mission of promoting professional development of individuals in information-systems industry, this organization provides scholarships and coordinates conferences.
- NAMEPA: A national network of educators and representatives from industry, government and nonprofit organizations who share a common commitment to improving the recruitment and retention of African Americans, Hispanics and American Indians earning degrees in engineering. Offers scholarships, conferences and resources.
- National Science Foundation (NSF): An independent federal agency created by Congress in 1950 "to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; to secure the national defense…"
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE): One of the largest student-run organizations in the country and is active both regional and national level. The website offers job database and resume posting service for members.
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE): SHPE is the Source for Quality Hispanic Engineers and Technical Talent providing professional development opportunities, and promoting academic excellence. The website offers scholarships to current students.
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE): Empowers women to succeed and advance in the field of engineering. The site includes resume posting service and job listings for members, as well as scholarship opportunities.