State & Local Government
The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
- Governmentjobs.com: Site lists federal, state, county, city, nonprofits.
- HillZoo: The homepage of Capitol Hill, features classified job listing for Hill jobs as well as jobs in political consulting, law and other firms.
- New York City Summer Internship site: City government internships allow students to make important contributions to the City while participating in a challenging and rewarding work experience.
- Official U.S. Executive Branch Sites: Comprehensive list of links to government departments and agencies that fall under the Executive Branch.
- Roll Call: A resource for Capitol Hill news and information, which includes RCjobs.com, an interactive employment site.
- State and Local Government on the Net: A directory of official state, county and city government websites.
- State and Local Governments: State and local government information searchable by state.
- U.S. House of Representatives: Employment opportunities site.
Selected Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership- based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- Council of State Governments (CSG): Our nation's only organization serving all three branches of state government.
- Public Affairs Council: Non-partisan, non-political association for public affairs professionals. Its mission is to advance the field of public affairs and to provide members with the training and information resources they need to achieve success while maintaining the highest ethical standards.
- State Government Affairs Council (SGAC): The premier national association for multi-state government affairs professionals, providing opportunities for networking and professional development.
- Women in Government: National, nonprofit, non-partisan organization of women state legislators that provides leadership opportunities, networking expert forums, and educational resources to address and resolve complex public policy issues to all women state legislators.